Monday, November 30, 2009

Working Through Grief

I have worked through grief. I've gone right through the middle of it and come out the other side battered and bruised, but still a relatively whole person albeit a bit more jaded. Last week was like going back in a time machine seven years when grieving was my full-time job. Two close friends of mine experienced a similar loss as me shortly before Thanksgiving and it was like Death showed up at my door again very unexpectedly and without an invitation.

It's only Monday, but I feel behind. Not only do you have to work through the actual grieving process, but the majority of us actually have to work, as in a J-O-B. It is hard to be motivated and find personal satisfaction when your mind is elsewhere.

Since I don't make music, listening is a great vehicle for me to get my head on straight. The lyrics speak to me about something totally in-line with what I'm feeling or totally different if I need that distraction.

The holidays can be particularly hard for anyone grieving the death of a loved one. With all this superficial happiness strewn about, please take a moment and touch base with someone who is working hard at grieving.

1 comment:

  1. I think grief completely knocks you off your course and makes you reevaluate your priorities. You get a dose of reality...that life is cold, harsh and unpredictable and that you can only rely on a very tight circle of trusted family/friends to help you out.

    Before Iraq I was a very selfish individual, who only cared about partying. After I came back I realized that others who had died over there would never be able to pursue their dreams and if I didn't pursue mine, I was doing them a disservice. That it might as well have been me if I wasn't going to actually do anything with my life.

    I realized that not many people had experienced that level of grief (when my friends died over there) and/or had seen the bottomless pit of despair like I had while observing the living conditions of the common Iraqi. I found myself alone and very sad.

    Then I found Sidney who had experienced similar grief and had also been forced to reevaluate her priorities just like me and we've been together ever since. Now we have two beautiful kids and a company that we both love.

    Sometimes you have to seek out others that can share in your pain. To stay in an environment where others do not understand you will lead to solitude and sorrow.

    Surround yourself with others who have similar life experiences and you will find yourself enjoying life once again.

    ReplyDelete