Thursday, May 31, 2007

Yes I'll do it, When Do I leave

The Heart of a Volunteer
I will never again volunteer for anything in such great stature again! Nothing I can and will ever come close to when I Volunteered. That word "Volunteer" just isnt the same to me anymore! I used to volunteer to take out the trash when my parents asked of their 3 children, "who's gonna take out the trash?" Little ol me "I'll do it!" I used to volunteer to sit out on some baseball games just so that another kid has an oppertunity to get his baseball skills better! "Coach I'll do it, I'll sit out this game!" and I used to volunteer to rap first at a show because the other artist didn't want to perform first. "I'll do it then, I dont careif there's only 10 people here!" All my life I have "volunteered" for something, the constant "I'll do it" coming out of my mouth, my whole life!

On August 19th, 2005 I "Volunteered" for something so much bigger than myself. I received a call from a Captain, named CPT Commo asking me if I wanted to "Volunter" for a unit who were about to deploy to Iraq in just 2 short days and that this unit was short on Soldiers, that they need more Soldiers to fight. "Wow" I thought to myself. I have a wife and I got kids, and all I have is just 2 short days to get everything ready? 2 short days and i'm leaving everything and everyone I love for a whole year? Should I do it? I asked myself, as I took a couple of seconds to think. 2 days? Damn! CPT Como said "SGT Barillaro, you there?" Yes Sir I'm here, I replied. My country was calling me to go and fight, I can't say no! Soldiers in a unit was short handed and needed my help! There I go with the "I'll do it" attitude again!!!!! I replied with the uppermost confidence and Motivation I ever had, YES SIR!!! Count me IN!!! when do I leave?

I took those 2 days to get ready, getting all my gear packed up, getting all the info on were I will be flying to, and saying good bye to my family and friends. Spending every moment I can with my wife and kids. And in just after those 2 short days I boarded a plane to go meet up with my new family in which I will be there brother for the next year plus!

The Aftermath of "Volunteering"

Now I am in the states after serving and volunteering. Now Living at Ft. Bliss Texas. I no longer have a person whom which I call my wife anymore, and I will never have a relationship with my kids that I used to have. I have been in fire fights with the enemy (Wild Cats I love ya'll) I have seen friends get blown up by road side bombs. Visited friends in the hospital who got hit by the emeny (SGT Laterno Im glade you still with us). Seen missing legs and arms of Soldiers laying in the hospital bed, Soldiers burnt by fire over 70% of thier body. I have seen and felt pain America!!!! All of this just because of a 2 min. conversation with CPT Como asking if I wanted to "Volunteer." and I said YES?????????????

A friend of mine asked me the other day. If I could go back in time, would I have told CPT Commo No, and that I didn't want to "Volunteer." and I relied by saying........."If I could go back in time, to the same time of the conversation I had with CPT Commo, I would tell him this........YES Sir!!! count me IN!!!! and when do I leave?"I don't regreat anything I do, I am who I am. I am a very proud man! Since I was just a lil boy I always said YES and I'll do it, now that I am older why stop saying YES now? To many people in this world say that word NO already!Therefore I tell you all this...................... YES! I WILL DO IT! When do I eave?

Respectfully submitted,
Soldier Hard
19kilo US Army Armor Corps.
www.MySpace.com/SoldierHard1
Support Us by SOLDIER HARD directed by Delby Imagine McAllen

Add to My Profile | More Videos

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for volunteering. There are those of us out here who appreciate what you've done, the spirit with which you did it, and and the sacrifices you've made. I'm sorry more of us don't say thank you. For all the times you haven't been thanked, thank you!!!!

    ReplyDelete